We make wedding cakes, novelty cakes, wedding favours, cupcakes, cake-pops and more

Tuesday 22 January 2013

Learning New Things

I joined the South African Cake Decorators Guild at the beginning of the month and attended their first monthly meeting on Saturday.

There is something to be said about preconceived notions. I was expecting a bunch of disorganised grannies discussing their favourite butter-cream recipe. 

Oh how I was wrong. I found myself amongst a group of 12 women the youngest in her early 30's and the oldest (Lets call her Betty) looked to be about 95. Betty also happens to be the branch treasurer and is quite on top of things. 

The meeting itself was more like a precision military operation. These ladies are quite serious about Cake Decoration and all are at an international competition level. Talk about intimidating.

The demonstration part of the afternoon was fascinating and I took copious notes. We were taught the intricacies of a Casablanca/Stargazer Lily. We all have to take our own sugar paste lily to the next meeting *gulp*.

I gathered all my tools and equipment this morning and began fiddling with florist tape, wire, pliers and gum paste. 8 hours later and I am thinking I will need more than 4 weeks to get this right.

So I found a tutorial on Cake Central and I thought I would share it with you. 
I will try again and use this tutorial tomorrow.

Fondantly Yours 
JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment